Welcome to Swifts class!
Our aim is that the children in Swifts develop a love for learning and the skills that will help them to become independent lifelong learners. We like to challenge their thinking but when the task becomes too demanding, the Swifts can use their independence strategies to help! These are:
- Be brave – even though the task may seem tough, the Swifts use their growth mindset and have a go! Instead of saying ‘I can’t do this,’ we want our Swifts to say ‘I will try my best to do this.’
- Be still – this is where the Swifts have some thinking time to really think about what is expected of them and how they might achieve this.
- Backtrack – the Swifts will think about their learning session, use the working walls and look back through their work for clues to help them with their task.
- Bits and bobs – in our classroom we have lots of equipment and prompts that help the children with their learning. If the children need something to help them with their learning, they can just go and get it.
- Buddy – if a Swift is still having difficulty, they can ask a buddy, who will try to explain the task in an easier way or show them what they need to do. A good buddy doesn’t tell just tell them the answer, but helps their peer reach the answer themselves.
If the children have used a growth mindset and tried to be independent learners but are still having trouble, they can of course ask any of the adults who work in Swifts for some help.