Good Morning Year 5,
Start today with reading the PDF attached, the one from yesterday, called SCARAB STORY. In Year 5, it's really important you deepen your understanding of the texts you read. We use Vipers to help us learn these skills.
Today, we would like you to answer these questions to deepen understanding of what you've just read:
- What does the author mean by ‘ this year was no exception’?
- At the start of the story, how did Emily feel and how do we know?
- Describe what it was about the beetle that caught her eye.
- Why do you think she touched the beetle?
- How did she know so quickly where she was?
- What is the possible effect of the words ‘ rattles shivered’ ?
- Where is the woman sitting and how do you know?
- What does the fact that she has no mask suggest?
- Explain the word ‘surveyed’ . What does it suggest about the woman.
- What do the exclamation marks indicate?
- Why does it say, ‘ without thinking’ ?
- It was cool inside. What does that suggest about outside?
(Remember today is your chance to impress your new teacher... we can't wait to see and read your answers).